10 fun facts about crystals
Before you read on I want to clarify that this is my personal research and findings, I am NOT an expert on crystals. I hope you enjoy reading.
- It is said that crystals were created as the earth was formed and this was partially proven in 2014. Scientists found a zircon crystal in Western Australia which dated back 4.4 BILLION years. The earth itself was formed 4.5 billion years ago according to scientists. Some thought that the earths core was one giant crystal?! What do you think?
- Crystals have been worn as jewellery since as far back as the Stone Age. The Stone Age dates back as far as 2.5 million years ago. Men and women wore crystal jewellery and talismans for their protection and to guard themselves from harm.
- Ancient Egyptians are well known to have believed in crystal healing. Cleopatra and ladies of royalty wore Lapis Lazuli, malachite was powdered and applied to wounds to prevent infection and quartz was placed on the dead to help guide them into the afterlife safely.
*The high concentration of copper in malachite aids aching joints and muscles. Copper is known for reducing swelling and inflammation, you may have heard of someone wearing a copper bracelet before or a copper chain for an ageing dog.
4. The use of healing crystals in Chinese medicine dates back nearly 5000 years. Crystals and gem stones played an important part in these traditional practices. Acupuncture, for instance consisted of stone needles. Nowadays the needles are metal.
5. Crystal healing traditions have been used by many cultures throughout history. Ancient Greeks, Japanese, the Romans and traditional India to name a few others.
6. Crystals are used in modern medical practices. All crystals have different properties, some of which are used in ultrasounds. If you’re wondering how then I will try my best to explain. There are crystals which are piezoelectric crystals. This means that when compressed the crystal produces electrical currents and absorb sound. And when you apply electricity to these crystals it makes them change shape causing vibrations which then produce sound. Therefore, these crystals can send and receive sound waves. These sound waves produce pictures of the inside of a body. For example a scan photo of a baby. Pretty mind blowing isn’t it?! You can find crystals to treat illnesses and imbalances on all levels.
7. Each crystal has its own individual healing properties. You can either choose a crystal for a specific purpose or you can choose one at random. When choosing one at random just trust your intuition. You will be drawn to one, make sure you hold he crystal and it should feel like it’s the one for you. I have no doubt that you will read the healing properties the crystal has and you will be shocked at how ‘right’ that crystal is for you.
8. Himalayan salt rock also has healing properties and it comes in many forms. Wether it’s a lamp or candle tea light they are great to have in your home. They’re not just beautiful to look at but they have so many healing properties, even Doctors have recommended them. Himalayan salt rock remove impurities from the air, reducing allergies and asthmatic symptoms. If you’re poorly they can help ease coughing, help you to feel more energetic and aid in a quality nights sleep.
9. Crystals are formed naturally and can be found in many places around the world. For instance, Amethyst can be found in Brazil where it is produced in abundance within volcanic rocks. This geode was from Brazil and cost roughly 20,000 euros in Barcelona where I discovered it.
10. Crystals come in many shapes and sizes. One type of crystal can even come in several forms and go by different names. There are also hundreds of gem stones with beautiful colour variations and all have different healing properties.
Try one yourself
This is simply a fun introduction into crystals and their history for anyone wanting to know a little more about them. If you are interested in trying one for yourself I would recommend you do a little more research and understand that using crystals for healing is not as simple as picking one from a store. Crystals and gem stones need to be cared for and in turn they will take care of you. From my own personal experience I can’t recommend crystals enough. They have helped me through anxiety wether that’s through meditating with them or simply having one on my bed side table. Many people will dispute the usage of crystals but don’t knock it until you try it 😉
Peace and love,